"Hovering out there somewhere between cause and effect, between fears about self and fear about others, lie expectations." It's taken a lot of work for me to be okay with the idea of my final project not being the exact same as I had set out envisioning it. I fear that by not sticking to my old expectations I somehow sold myself short or didn't work as hard as I should have.
"The fear that you are not a real artist causes you to undervalue your work." I often don't feel confident in my drawing and painting skills and therefore feel as though I am not an artist since I don't know how to paint or draw well. Coming to terms with the fact that I don't really like painting or drawing and that's okay, because there are other areas of art that I excel in and love more was crucial. Finding "my" art wasn't hard, but accepting it and accepting the part that I am still an artist was hard.
"Art is human; error is human; ergo, art is error." I love this. This year and a bit of last year I have come to love my art mistakes. Making mistakes and no longer following my intense sketchbook plan has been good for me. Making art like this has allowed me to let loose and me less critical and more comfortable with well, everything. I've realized that the mistakes in my art that always get me pissed off and upset at first, often are for the better. Last year when making my "self portrait" on glass, the fire from the blow torch shattered the crayon melt I had spent two weeks on. I later glued the pieces apart from each other on another piece of overlapping glass and the work in the end had more depth and build to it. About a week ago when doing another crayon melt by accident some silver got into it. I mad at first since I had spent about 3.5 hours cutting up the crayons. Then I added more silver and realized that it helped bring out the gold in two other pieces. The mistake turned into a small break through. Maybe art mistakes are signs? Or at least when torching crayola crayons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment